try

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Snarky Son
Have you ever had a day that was completely derailed by a snarky child? The trouble maker came home from kindergarten in a mood... and by mood I mean that before he even entered my van in the carpool line he had hit his sister with his back pack and pushed his way in front of the line :/ 
I of course handled this perfectly (NOT)  I corrected him soundly and proceeded to listen to the prattle of the princess and Mr Personality. Through out the afternoon he proceeded to hit his brother, kick the dog, break my beautiful flowers off my tree and sit in time out 4xs.....
It was right about the dinner rush ( you know what time I mean... the moment when you have three burners going and three kids screaming and a husband sitting at the computer pretending that he can't hear it)( how do they do that?) that God hit me over the head with the dummy stick " Hey you.... yes you... Trouble makers Mother.... There is something bothering my son.... Stop what you are doing and go tend to my lamb" I would love to tell you that I headed this warning immediately and ran to my hurting son...but sigh( hangs her head) I finished preparing dinner.
After a meal of constant corrections and frustration and indigestion I left the dishes undone (gasp... that never happens in my house) and took the trouble maker to my room to chat. 
I discovered that he had a Terrible , Horrible , no good very bad day....( you know you like the Alexander reference there ) He told me that he felt like no body liked him. (break this Mommas heart) As he sat curled up on my lap I was able to reassure him of my love for him and tell him about Gods love for him as well. As he was leaving my room and I went back to my dishes (sigh, the dish fairy never shows up at my house) I couldn't help thinking that if I had taken the time to put my agenda aside when I saw his struggle in the car pool line we would have all had a better evening...
Has this ever happened in your house?
I am a planner, and a doer( is that a word?) I am not someone who often gives up on my coarse of action. But as I was washing the dishes The Lord reminded me of a verse 
Proverbs 19:17 " Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails" 
How many tender moments had I missed because of my plans? How many times had I snapped at my children ( hangs her head again) because they interrupted my " busy ".
I needed this reminder today :) Maybe you do too? 
Love,
Lilie 

1 comment: